Got this error when attempting running a scheduled update against my Windows Server 2012 R2 U1 image:
WIM::GetWIMImageCount returned code 0x80004005
- SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 running on Windows Server 2008 R2.
- Server 2012 R2 U1 image created using MDT 2013 U1 running on a Server 2012 R2 U1 server.
- SCCM server had WADK 8.1 installed.
- MDT server running WADK 10.
- Installed Windows Management Framework 3.0 (includes Powershell v3 – prerequisite for WADK 10) on the SCCM server.
Updated WADK on the SCCM server to WADK 10.
Scheduled updates then worked OK.
Link to Windows Management Framework 3.0 download:
Link to WADK 10:
Quick reminder on how to get an MDT 2013 environment up-and-running and ready to deploy a basic client or server image.
- Server 2012 R2
- MDT 2013
- WADK 10
- Install the WDS server role – don’t configure it initially.
- Install WADK selecting these components:
- Deployment Tools.
- Instal MDT 2013.
- Create a new Deployment Share.
- Import full set of OS source files – not just an ISO or a WIM.
- Create a basic Task Sequence referencing the imported OS.
- Update the Deployment Share.
- Configure WDS, including adding the boot image generated by MDT.
- Ready to PXE boot and deploy an image.